The movie follows the story of Chris Kyle Bradley Cooper), “America’s most lethal Sniper in History”, and his journey prior to enlisting until his final days. The movie portrays him as someone who, sometimes, struggles to kill. Through helping others overcome their problems due to being in the war, he is very much at peace with what he’s done.
His pinpoint accuracy not only saves countless lives but also makes him a prime target of insurgents. Despite grave danger and his struggle to be a good husband and father to his family back in the States, Kyle serves four tours of duty in Iraq. However, when he finally returns home, he finds that he cannot leave the war behind.
From the very beginning this movie sucks you in and it does not let go. The movie is fantastic and does a terrific job of actually making you feel as if you were there. Some of the decisions he had to make (whether historically accurate or not) in the movie makes your stomach knot wondering what it would be like to actually have to make that decision.
Director: Clint Eastwood
Year of Release: 2015
Character to watch: Bradley Cooper as Chris Kyle.
Journal your answers to the following questions after you watch the movie.
- How does this particular character’s journey compare with yours?
- Did the character develop certain characteristics during the movie that you have or that you would like to have? If so, what are those characteristics?
- What obstacles did this character face? What was his or her biggest challenge?
- What would you have done differently if you had been in the same position as the character?
- Is this character the type of person you would be friends with? Why or why not?