In this classic series, an exoanthropologist from the planet Mars, becomes stranded on Earth after his one-man spaceship narrowly misses a NASA rocket plane and crashes near Los Angeles. The alien is rescued by Tim O’Hara (Bill Bixby), a newspaper reporter who explains the Martian to friends and authorities by introducing him as his Uncle Martin (Ray Walston).
“Uncle Martin” looks human, except when he extends his retractable antennae with which he can become invisible. His special powers and unusual illnesses present a constant challenge to Tim in his efforts to preserve his friend’s cover.
My Favorite Martian is one of those great television shows that we all long for – at least those of us who miss good solid family TV entertainment. A half century after it was made, you can still laugh and smile while watching a black and white show that has quality, rather than computer generated graphics that bring no human consideration to good old entertainment just like all TV shows and movies should be.
Character to watch: Bill Bixby as Tim O’Hara.
Journal your answers to the following questions after you watch the series.
- How does this particular character’s journey compare with yours?
- Did the character develop certain characteristics during the movie that you have or that you would like to have? If so, what are those characteristics?
- What obstacles did this character face? What was his or her biggest challenge?
- What would you have done differently if you had been in the same position as the character?
- Is this character the type of person you would be friends with? Why or why not?