Perhaps most striking is that the kids, against all odds, are generally far more mature and sensible than the grownups, who also include Frank’s agoraphobic girlfriend Sheila (Joan Cusack), her very snarky husband, Ian’s older lover (who happens to have a wife and children), and various others of questionable character. Indeed, it’s the younger Gallaghers, not Frank, who are the most dedicated to keeping the family together, and the grit, determination, and guile they use to do that are Shameless’s heart and soul.
Character to watch: William H. Macy as Frank Gallagher.
Journal your answers to the following questions after you watch the series.
- How does this particular character’s journey compare with yours?
- Did the character develop certain characteristics during the movie that you have or that you would like to have? If so, what are those characteristics?
- What obstacles did this character face? What was his or her biggest challenge?
- What would you have done differently if you had been in the same position as the character?
- Is this character the type of person you would be friends with? Why or why not?