The Andy Griffith Show is loved from coast to coast, but it’s especially important to a fellow like me who has spent all of his life in the great state of North Carolina. Just about everybody under the age of 50 has grown up with Andy, Barney, Aunt Bee, Opie, Floyd, Otis, and the whole Mayberry gang. And, no matter how many times I see a particular episode, I never get tired of watching it. I’ve seen the 32 shows from Season One more times than I can remember, but watching them again on these DVDs was even better than seeing them for the first time on television. As time goes by, this show actually grows in importance.
Maybe a criminal wanders into town once every blue moon, but old reliable Barney Fife is always there to nip criminal activity in the bud (and Andy is there to see that Barney succeeds despite himself). About the worst thing that ever happens in Mayberry is Aunt Bee deciding to make a run of pickles. This is truly the life, and The Andy Griffith Show The Complete First Season lands a spot smack dab on top of my stack of favorite DVDs.
Character to watch: Andy Griffith as himself.
Journal your answers to the following questions after you watch the series.
- How does this particular character’s journey compare with yours?
- Did the character develop certain characteristics during the movie that you have or that you would like to have? If so, what are those characteristics?
- What obstacles did this character face? What was his or her biggest challenge?
- What would you have done differently if you had been in the same position as the character?
- Is this character the type of person you would be friends with? Why or why not?