Michael Oher (Quinton Aaron) knows little about family. Less about football. What the homeless teen knows are the streets and projects of Memphis. Well-to-do Leigh Anne Tuohy (Sandra Bullock) knows little about his world. Yet when she and Michael meet, he’s found a home. The Tuohys have found something just as life-changing: a beloved new son and brother. After his grades improve,
Michael is allowed to join the school football team. He has a shaky start due to his polite and gentle nature, yet after some encouragement by Leigh Anne to tap into his protective instincts and regard his teammates as he would members of his family, Michael dominates on the field. Leigh Anne discovers that to get a NCAA Division I scholarship,
Michael needs a 2.5 GPA, so they hire a tutor, Miss Sue (Kathy Bates). Some of the teachers help out as well, and Michael ends up with a GPA of 2.52. This real-life story of family and of Michael’s growth into a blue-chip football star will have you cheering with its mix of gridiron action and heartwarming emotion.
Character to watch: Sandra Bullock as Leigh Anne Toughy, a well-to-do white Memphis woman who adopts Michael Oher, as black teen from the streets. This movie is a testimant to what life is all about. The Tuohy families link to Michael Oher may have been a rare occurence, and that’s why there’s a movie about it, but if we all looked out for each other a little more, despite color boundaries, despite class boundaries and just showed a little love and extended a helping hand when we could, the world would be a better place.
Director: John Lee Hancock
Year of Release: 2009
Journal your answers to the following questions after you watch the movie.
- How does this particular character’s journey compare with yours?
- Did the character develop certain characteristics during the movie that you have or that you would like to have? If so, what are those characteristics?
- What obstacles did this character face? What was his or her biggest challenge?
- What would you have done differently if you had been in the same position as the character?
- Is this character the type of person you would be friends with? Why or why not?